Sunday, July 12, 2009

Climb Every Mountain

Last weekend, I (Kelly) went with a friend of mine to the county of Telemark to hike to the top of the Gaustatoppen mountain. We started about 1000m up and hiked the remaining 850m to the top. It took about two hours and a total walking distance of 5.9km. My friend Pim is a machine, and just hikes around for fun. I have not hiked for years, and it was definitely one of the most physically challenging things I have ever done.

When we got to the top, though, it was all worth it. We could see for miles in every direction, with the town of Rjukan spread out in the valley below. Pim and I spent another 20 minutes jumping between rocks along the top of the mountain. It was amazing!

It took us an hour to get back down to the car, and then we drove back to Oslo for dinner with Bethany, Lucia (Pim's wife) and the families. It was a pretty great day, but I gained a new awareness of certain muscles I had not used much in a long time.

Here are some pictures from the hike:

the mountain

rocky terrain

still snowy

pretty views

view from the top

heading back down

No comments: